Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Can't Blog. Busy Reading New Book.

So I'll leave you with this quote, from Sam Harris' new book, The Moral Landscape:
Knowing that the Creator of the Universe believes about right and wrong inspires religious conservatives to enforce this vision in the public sphere at almost any cost; not knowing what is right-- or that anything can ever be truly right-- often leads secular liberals to surrender their intellectual standards and political freedoms with both hands. 
As someone who is not religious in any way, shape, or form but also isn't a fan of relativism (it bears mentioning here that, despite that, I am emphatically not an Objectivist), I like the direction in which Harris is heading. Dawkins did something similar in The God Delusion and while it made a good bit of sense to me, I think Harris' more philosophical bent will ultimately serve me (and this debate) better.

Next on the list is Cordelia Fine's Delusions of Gender, if I can make my nook account cooperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment