Thursday, January 20, 2011

Swimming Lessons

Now that I'm finally over the month-long head cold from Hell, I've been able to start up one of my New Year's Resolutions: get better at swimming so I can take a boot camp-style class with Matt. We've been to the Y the last two days, and will probably go again tonight and tomorrow. Whether or not we'll go on the weekends is unclear because the pool closes earlier than when I typically get off work and Matt disapproves of getting out of bed before noon.

So far, it's going about as well as I expected it to. I'm not a very good swimmer. While I can keep myself from drowning (or so I hope), I lack good form and coordination. This makes swimming any distance longer than fifty yards or so very difficult. I'm also not a big fan of swimming with my face in the water. All of these are things I'm going to have to deal with if I'm to start swimming any substantial lengths without using a killer-leg-cramp-inducing kickboard. Seriously. I had a hard time going up stairs today because of how sore my legs are.

I'm optimistic, though. If I can handle people who are twice my size chasing and tackling me (rugby!), I can learn how to swim with my face underwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment