Thursday, March 3, 2011

Recipe of the Week 2011 #7: Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats

I'm a few weeks behind on the recipe-attempting front, thanks to a combination of vacations, volunteer training, and a certain amount of failure of the imagination. Now that my vacations and training are over and I have a docket full of recipes I'd like to attempt, I'm ready to resume my challenge.

A few nights ago, I prepared this adaptation of the classic Rice Krispie treats recipe. The treats came out really well, but next time, I intend on:

  1. Making a single batch, or inviting friends over. I made a double batch because I didn't want the cereal to go stale but, in retrospect, it was a little excessive, filling a 9" x 13" casserole dish up to the top. It also made the stirring and mixing a lot more difficult.
  2. Using a wooden spoon. I melted one of Matt's plastic spoons (he won't notice, but still...).
  3. Letting the butter get a little bit browner. I was so paranoid about burning it that I added the marshmallows a little too soon.
  4. Adding more sea salt. I like my salty-sweet treats to be a little crunchier for that.
All in all, though, I'm definitely making this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment