Friday, April 29, 2011

Book Review: The Ask by Sam Lipsyte

I hated this book so profoundly I'm not even going to bother writing anything about it. If you like reading about slacker, narcissistic artist-types who think the world should pay homage to their Great Genius while doing no work and blaming each and every one of the women in their lives for their lack of success (and sundry other problems), go for it.

Or I could introduce you to my college boyfriend. Same difference, really. I guess I could be happy that this book reminded me to thank my lucky stars that I dumped that malignant loser almost six years ago, but I could have done without the reminder that the world is full of people who are just like him (or, at least enough of them to where a book detailing their self-induced misery could be reasonably construed as satire or social commentary).

Satire or not (if it's satire, it's very poorly-executed), I couldn't find anything of value in this book. The characters are all thoroughly repellent, I found the narrative execrable in more ways than I can count, and the entire thing was steeped in misogyny. Gross. 1 out of 5 stars, and I need some tequila.

No comments:

Post a Comment