Saturday, July 9, 2011

Why Google+ is better than twitter AND facebook.

So, I've joined up with Google+ as of three days ago (http://gplus.to/LaurenA if you'd like to be friends), and I'm really very impressed and pleased with it. Here's why I like it:

  1. Circles! Twitter has lists, but you can't filter your tweets by list. You can go either 100% public or 100% request to add, but can't do a mix of public and private content. Facebook isn't much better; while you can filter your content, the process is really difficult and clunky. Google+ circles make it easy to share some things publicly, semi-publicly, and relatively privately.
  2. Speaking of privately, Google+'s privacy settings are easy to navigate and customize. I know a lot of people have been kvetching about the private profile option disappearing, but you can lock down so much of your info that all random people will be able to see is your name and photo. Either way, it's better than facebook, where you have to opt out of everyone and their mother knowing what your underwear looks like. (Hello Kitty.)
  3. The mobile android app is one of the best I've ever used.
  4. There are no character limits in posts (or, if there are, it's a lot of characters). This is important when you're as long-winded as I am. 
  5. No obnoxious ads, particularly those trying to sell me on wedding stuff (as a long-standing member of Team Elope, that's a no) and OMGZ BABIES (as a long-standing member of Team I Don't Want to Be a Single Mom, that's a hail naw). Sure, I'll get creepily relevant yarn ads, but I'm okay with that. At least yarn isn't demeaning.
So far, anyway. Looking forward to deactivating my facebook account once more people make the switch.

1 comment:

  1. Craziness. I'm not sure if I'll make the switch fully but I'm watching what happens :)

    ReplyDelete