Monday, November 29, 2010

A very good book.

Currently in my hands: Shades of Grey, by Jasper Fforde. I was delighted to see it on the shelf of the local library; I'd only ever seen the Thursday Next series along with the Nursery Crimes Division novels previously, and hadn't known that he'd written anything else. I tend to be a bit behind the times where new books are concerned; I'm so far behind in my backlog of Things I Should Have Read When I Was Busy Majoring in English and Recovering From the Same that I'm not good about watching the new releases, even of authors I really enjoy.

Fforde is one of those authors. His books are the silly sort of sci-fi/fantasy, intriguing and well-rendered without being totally unbelievable, trite, or, worse, using the weird and new technology/world/species/wtfever as a driving plot device. Shades of Grey is a dystopian novel set in the possibly-distant future, and his skills are on par with those of Orwell and Huxley. No lie. This book is really, really good. I can't wait to finish it, and tomorrow's my day off.

There are few things better than the anticipation of finishing a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment